Thursday, January 10, 2008

Life as I know it...

Well it has been quite some time since I last wrote. I have returned home from my travels in OZ and began to work some random jobs to make ends meet. I have moved back home with Mama Jean and Papa Klaas as to save money and am renting my WHOLE house out, top and bottom separate. Living at home has been in itself an adventure for both myself and my parents. Soon I promise them official status of "empty Nester's" once again. For the most part it is well. I have worked as a nanny for both of my siblings with kids this year and have decided that I do for sure want to have children, but NOT for a little while yet! Some days I was just glad to be the "Auntie" instead of the parent and other days I was wishing I had kids. I have worked at the Calgary's Farmers Market for a time during the weekends waking up really early, complimented with long days...BUT a job that I absolutely love. My boss is truly amazing and fun to work with and spoils me with vegetables and Chai Tea Lattes. My math skills also improved some with this job as well as my vegetable intake. It is now the off season and I already miss the tomatoes!


Jude and I were fortunate enough to have the opportunity to meet up in London. Jude was chosen for a music thing to bring awareness about Africa to various parts of East/West Africa and the UK. There are members from countries such as Tanzania, Sudan, Cameroon, Ethiopia, Nigeria, UK...etc. Jude has already traveled to the UK, and Uganda and is currently in Ethiopia. Next month it looks like Tanzania or Cameroon or both! London was quite EXPENSIVE...but we had some great friends who took us in and took care of us! (thanks again Irene and Zainab!) Otherwise Jude and I would be in major debt. One meal out at Chili's cost us $60 (CND) for our main course of Fajitas (which we shared!) and some small dessert, a pop and bread sticks. UNREAL! Needless to say, everything is expensive; transportation, going out, food...all except for our favourite store PRIMARK! But alas, we had to part ways due to our responsibilities of real life.
Recently I just began substitute teaching for FFCA schools (Foundations for the Future Charter Academy) and still find myself getting nervous but thoroughly enjoy it. It is such a refreshing change from my last job at CCS and though I miss my friends at CCS...I DO NOT MISS CCS!! :-)Substitute Teaching leaves some things to be desired though. It is really unknown when I will work or not and some days I receive many requests and can only choose one, while other days nothing. So I never really know if I will work or not.

I have applied to work at a school in Lagos Nigeria located on Victoria Island. It is an American International School which consists of a diverse community of faculty as well as student body (but the majority seems to be made up of American students and faculty...as it is an American Associated School). I am flying to Minneapolis to meet the Superintendent at the end of January...I pray that all goes well!

I received my Nigerian visa (first time round...which was a major shock!) And I am still trying to figure out with Jude when I will take the long haul to Nigeria. I want to wait until Matt and Katie's baby is born (brother and sister in-law) in the beginning of March. So anytime after that. I am still figuring out how to go from being a "visitor" in Nigeria to getting a "working visa" while I am there. So many things to figure out!

There is NOT a set wedding date as of yet...and this is something that will be figured out when Jude and I are FINALLY together in the place we will live for a while. Adjusting to life in Nigeria and to each other again in daily life takes more of a precedence than an actual wedding date at this time for me (us) and I think that is very important. We want to grow together now and "get used" to each other being there in our daily life...where as now, the distance prevents us from those things.

My friend Heather said to me the other night "you will be going through 3 of the major life stresses in a short amount of time...moving, a new job (no matter what it is...teaching or not), and marriage" Yes...these are the things that keep me up at night. The most important thing for me is to take it easy in these things....so as to not become overwhelmed or too stressed out that I have a mental breakdown! (Knowing me...it could happen!) I already find myself tossing and turning at night thinking about all I have to get ready and how nervous and excited I am to move to Nigeria, start a new job and to finally be with Jude.
I plan to use this bog as a diary of my new adventures to come in this next year. I hope to keep up with my brother Matt's crazy blogging!

Adios!

No comments: