Wednesday, January 16, 2008

The life I am getting into...

This post is about what I am getting myself into...
As I wrote that previous sentence I am SURE almost all of you who read this are also thinking "What IS she getting herself into??" Well, only God knows right?! For a long time since I was little I was fascinated with Africa, but did not have any idea that it would be no embedded in my heart and now my history. I am marrying a Nigerian; a proud, stubborn, quirky, talented, loving, caring, passionate, compassionate (and yes...short,) man named Jude. It all seems but a dream on some days for how can you imagine your life and how it will be when you have NO idea yourself.


All I can say is...that I know myself in Western circumstances. I live in a house with running HOT water, electricity ALL the time, a fridge, oven, dishwasher, washer and dryer etc. I will be leaving some of these things behind and will have to learn a way of life that no one in my "western circle" may ever understand.

Do not get my wrong, I am so excited, overwhelmed actually with excitement about starting my life with Jude and moving to Nigeria. Yes...they have 419 scams...yes they have corruption..yes they are a third world country...yes some comforts of life cannot be found there...but really...Nigeria is a wonderful place filled with amazing people so willing to help out, feed you when they have no food themselves and are truly Optimistic and happy people. I am stretching myself to step outside of my western way of living and into a new phase in my life...marrying a Nigerian will forever change me and the way I live and view life....as dating one has already done so a fair bit!


I guess I write this blog because I want to come clean to you folks. I AM NERVOUS AND SCARED!!! NOW, after saying that I need to explain myself. I am NOT nervous or scared for my safety. I know many of you are, mainly because any news about Nigeria is usually bad news on our end of the world. But I trust God in all things and have no fear for my safety. Why am I nervous or scared then you ask? I am going to go through 3 major life changes in a small amount of time, and I am nervous as to how I will adjust and cope. There are so many uncertainties in my life right now....I only know a few things; that Jude and I love each other and will marry, and that I will move to Nigeria in a few months. Knowing me, adjusting will be a very emotional thing!

I hope that all of you would continue to pray for both Jude and me. We will finally be together soon, but our lifestyle too will contrast from many that we know. Jude is a musician and travels a lot and works crazy hours. He is growing into his stardom in Nigeria and I too have to deal with being his "Oiybo" wife (Oiybo=white). It is a busy life with hectic work schedules and being in the public eye under scrutiny can also be stressful...and that is also something that will be a part of my life.


I am excited but sad as well. It is always sad to leave friends and family. But Jude has family in Nigeria and they will become my family.


So there we have it...my life and what I am getting myself into. Only faith in God and following His Will...will give us strength...but I would have it NO OTHER WAY!!! And so...life will be an adventure!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey Rach...its been a minute...just droping by to say whats up....peace