Tuesday, January 15, 2008

My last "lost" trip on the Great Ocean Road

I wrote a blog a while back now about the difficult decision to spend money that I didn't really have traveling the Great Ocean Road, to finish up my Oz trip. I had many people e-mail or 'tell' me that I should forget about the cost and LIVE LIFE. After some careful planning and budgeting, I figured out a perfect trip that was both time and cost effective, all the while, seeing the Great Ocean Road.



My trip began when I left Adelaide and traveled to Melbourne. Instead of driving from Adelaide to Melbourne which would have taken over 12 hours, I found some cheap flights and flew instead from Adelaide to Melbourne. Once in Melbourne (rather Geelong..near Melbourne but closer to the Great Ocean Road), I rented a car and found my hostel for the night. It was quite an adventure to have my own car with my map sprawled out on the passenger seat (which is...in Canada...where the driver would sit). I went to bed early that night as to wake up REALLY early to begin my journey the next day.


I began my journey, dragging my large suitcase down 3 flights of stairs..feeling the strain on my arms and legs from when I had dragged it UP those 3 flights of stairs the night before. I jumped in the car and drove in the darkness for a while until the sun began to peek its head up.



I traveled along the curvy windy roads of the Great Ocean Road that continue to climb higher and higher up the cliffs. Traveling on these roads takes much concentration but it was a lot of fun. I was able to have many stops seeing magnificent cliffs in situated in the ocean, a large ways from the cliffs. I was able to see the Twelve Apostles, Loch Arch Gorge, the Arch, London Bridge and The Bay of Islands, Gibsons Steps...and so many other beautiful formations!




The day was a bit chilly, but it was a wonderful day. I ended in Lorne and stayed in a little hostel there. I was exhausted and crashed after finding a bite to eat. The next morning I was up again long before the sun and drove this time inland back to Geelong to catch my flight from there back to Sydney. By traveling inland, I was able to save close to 3 hours driving time. It also was a wonderful drive and again it was lovely to have time to meditate on the beauty of God's creation that I had just experienced.




So in the end...thank you to all those who convinced me to go on this trip...though I came back home in debt and broke, it was all well worth it!

No comments: