Sunday, February 25, 2007

Humourous flying stories

ALOHA....
If you didn't guess from my greeting, I am in Honolulu Hawaii. I have been travelling since early this morning and am really feeling my jet lag from my Nigeria trip already. Since I came back I found that I was still on Nigeria time and AM still on Nigeria time. Now on my way to Sydney, Australia I have to adjust to another 8 hour jump ahead from Nigeria time and 16 or so hours from Calgary time. My body is all messed up at this point in time! I guess I shouldn't complain since I am travelling the globe!
My trips...as in the air travel are always interesting...and funny I guess. Arriving in L.A. was interesting because on my way to my connecting flight 3 people stopped me due to my Calvin College sweatshirt. None of the people went to Calvin in actuality...the first Man went to Kalamazoo College and recognized it, the second person, a lady just saw "Calvin" and pointed it out to her young son whose name was apparently Calvin...and the last Man had gone to a track meet where supposedly Calvin had a huge nice bus and he was really impressed and asked whether it was a really high end educational school due to that. Perhaps next time I won't wear my Calvin sweatshirt if I don't want anyone to talk to me ;-)
The next story is the one that seems to amuse me the most. On the plane before take off, I am sitting beside a nice lady and we are talking about where we are going...and the convo turns into how I was just in Nigeria...and what for etc. etc. and meanwhile the flight crew is going over the "in-flight safety" stuff. Now I can't even begin to count how many times I have heard this but it has been a lot...so we were talking during it and the lady behind us suddenly sticks her head over the seat and looks and me (since I was the one talking at the moment) and shushes me....yes...she gave me a loud obnoxious SHHHHHH! For the energy that she expelled to shush me, I thought she was going to collapse and we would have been delayed in flying to Hawaii....hehe. It seems I have issues with older ladies who sit behind me. Perhaps I just look like a little kid who is obnoxious and undeserving of adult recognition or respect for that matter. Both the lady (who I was talking with) and I, just laughed.
So here I am now after conking (is that a word?) out on the flight for an hour...in Honolulu for about 5 more hours...then off to Sydney on another long flight. All together I think the total travel time is close to 40 some hours...but it will be worth it in the end.
Anyway...until then you will be hearing from me next in Australia!

No comments: